Friday, 13 January 2012

Welcome 2012


Welcome to 2012. Yes 2012. Bloody hell that came around fast. 

Over the last 7 years those 4 little digits have gained a celebrity status all of their own. So much so I’m surprised they haven’t done a naked photo shoot for Hello magazine, or appeared on I’m a Celebrity Get me Out of Here

After all the Mayans, or some similar ancient civilization, did predict that in the year 2012 some cataclysmic event would occur, and the end of the world would finally be upon us. 

Yes the ‘End of the World’. Oh sorry I guess you thought I was referring to the Olympic Games. Yes well ok that’s been pretty big news too I suppose...

In fact if I were given £1 for every time someone has asked me “will you be in the Olympics then?”, simply because I own lycra, I would be quite rich by now. Well at least £50 better off anyway. 

I quite clearly remember the day that the Jacques Rogge and his IOC big wigs announced that London would host the 2012 Olympic Games. I was, quite aptly, in Italy with TeamGB for the 2005 Youth Olympics.  Young and impressionable, the mention of those four little numbers made my heart beat a little faster. The promise, the hope and the glory of a home Olympics was very exciting way back then. To be honest, it still is. Even for an older, far less impressionable and much more cynical me.  I was 16 at the time and my gosh did 2012 seem like a lifetime away! 

I’m now 23, and with the opening of the London 2012 Olympic Games less than 200 days away, you think it would all start to become a bit more real. But to be honest, it still feels like some distant, whimsical event. 

I think it’s going to be a bit like Christmas, in that you look forward to it all year. You plan, you prepare, and in the weeks leading up to it you see it everywhere you go. Every other conversation you have is about it, and you plan your life around it. But then it comes and it goes in the blink of an eye and you’re somewhat dumbfounded that it’s been and gone, and yes it was great, but actually what happened?!

Now I’m not suggesting that 2012 is going to be an anti climax or just another Christmas holiday. In fact I think London will put on a fantastic party, and that a great time will be had by all. I’ll definitely be there cheering on the home team, brimming with pride as the national anthem rings out across the capital, waving my union jack and loading up on Wenlock and Mandeville merchandise. 

But just a reminder to everyone, there is life after 2012 (well providing the Mayans did in fact miss read the stars) and that what happens, happens. Before you know it, 2012 will fall by the way side like any other celebrity, probably appearing in the 99th series of Big Brother, and the newer, shinier model that is 2016, will steal all the glory and headlines. We are a fickle bunch us humans. 

But please don’t interpret this as cynicism. After all the Olympics have been my dream since as far back as I can remember. So...

Welcome 2012. May it be a happy, healthy and fingers crossed damn well successful one for everyone. I include myself in that toast. 

PS. The Olympic Creed. Nice words. But let’s be honest, deep down we all want that bloody gold medal;

‘The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well.’

No comments:

Post a Comment